GoodwinFamilyHistory
Genealogy of the Goodwin Family
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Cale, Rev. William Franklin Jr.

Male 1912 - 2001  (88 years)


Personal Information    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Cale, William Franklin 
    Title Rev.  
    Suffix Jr. 
    Born 29 Oct 1912  Richmond, none (independent city), Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Occupation 1947  Culpeper Baptist Church, 318 S West St, Culpeper, Culpeper County, Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    pastor




    Tues , August 19th, 2008,11:16 AM


    .

    How to become a Christian!

    ..

    ..

    .

    .





    ..

    .

    . History of Our Church

    Culpeper Baptist Church, originally known as the Mt. Poney Baptist Church, was started in Culpeper County in 1774 by David Thomas and Nathaniel Saunders, pastors of churches in Orange and Fauquier counties. Forty-seven members leftMountain Run Church in Orange to help start Mt. Poney.

    Mt. Poney began during a tumultuous time -- King George was trying to maintain control over the 13 colonies, and all religious authority lay with the Established church. Ministers had to pass an exam in order to be licensed. Early pastorsof the church, such as Nathaniel Saunders and James Ireland, were imprisoned in the Culpeper jail for preaching in the county without a license. A bell in Ireland's honor hangs in the church's bell tower today.

    John Leland, former pastor of the church, visited with James Madison to discuss the lack of religious liberty within the Constitution. Madison was campaigning for the Virginia ratification committee. It is believed that Leland wasinfluential in drafting the religious liberty part of the Virginia Bill of Rights, a basis for the U. S. Constitution's Bill of Rights.

    After the Revolution, the church grew tremendously as the 'great revival' swept through Culpeper. More than 200 members were added to the church in 1788. In 1822, the church approved the resolution splitting the Mt. Poney Church to formtwo churches -- Stevensburg, which would stay in the area, and Mt. Poney, which would move into town. On September 20, 35 members constituted the new church at Culpeper County Courthouse.

    In February 1856, the church decided to buy land to build a new church. It purchased property at the corner of what is now Davis and East streets. This site was located on the southeast corner of the public square, near the site of theold jail which had imprisoned some of the church's early pastors. That same year, the black membership organized into a separate church, known as the African Church. The group met in the basement of the church with Cumberland George astheir pastor. The church later became known as Antioch Baptist, and was located next to the church.

    During the Civil War, all but four men of the church died or were killed. On September 13, 1863, the Union army began shelling the town as the church began its morning service. Both armies used the church as a hospital for several monthsduring the war. No public services were allowed in the church until May 4, 1864 when Grant's army moved toward Richmond.

    In 1873, a year before the church celebrated its centennial, the church voted to change its name to Culpeper Baptist. The church celebrated its 100th birthday on November 21, 1874 with a daylong celebration. For the next 75 years thechurch continued to grow and expand. The church was destroyed by fire in 1892 and rebuilt by 1895. Later, more space was needed so additional property was purchased for Sunday School rooms and the parsonage.

    In 1947, W. Franklin Cale, became pastor of the church. During this time, the Young People's Union, a kindergarten (1949 - now known at the Culpeper Baptist Child Development Center), and Vacation Bible School were started. In November1951, the church was given a lot on the corner of Scanlon and West streets. The adjoining 'Playground Lot,' was purchased at the same time. Construction began on a new building in 1954, with the first service held there April 24, 1955.

    In 1959, plans for a new sanctuary, to face the corner of Scanlon and West streets, were approved. The dedication service was held two years later in 1961. During that time other renovations took place in the educational building and onthe church property.

    The church celebrated its bicentennial in 1974 with events throughout the year including a drama depicting the church's history. A Bicentennial Time Capsule was formed and included a manual, hymnbook, pictorial directory, and letter fromRev. John Farrar, pastor (1958-1984). During the tenure of Rev. Bert Browning (1985-1995) the church hosted President-Elect and Mrs. Bill Clinton and Vice-President-Elect and Mrs. Al Gore and their families for worship in 1993 as theyretraced the inaugural trip taken by President Thomas Jefferson from Charlottesville to Washington, D.C.

    Dr. Ted Fuson became pastor of the church in 1996. Today it has a resident membership of nearly 1000 members. The church programs feature Sunday School, discipleship small-groups, WMU programs for all ages, a complete music program, youthactivities, a Child Development Center, and a deacon ministry. During 1999, the church celebrated it 225th anniversary with a year of special programs and activities. That same year it celebrated the 25th anniversary of its media-libraryministry and the 50th anniversary of its Child Development Center. In 2000, it began an additional contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings.






    .................................................. 
    Event-Misc 05 Aug 1949  Franklin County, Louisiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 


    • http://www.fixit-dir.com/county-14789/franklin.htm


      Franklin County, Louisiana


      August 5, 1949
      ... Franklin Cale, former pastor of the Warwick Swamp Baptist Church, will return for one week to assist the new pastor, the Rev. Paul E. Lemons, in revival services ...
    Died 14 Mar 2001  Culpeper Baptist Retirement, 12425 Village Loop, Culpeper, Culpeper County, Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Obituary 15 Mar 2001  The Daily News-Record, Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Daily News-Record (Harrisonburg, VA)
      Date: March 15, 2001

      W. Franklin Cale, D.D., 88, of Culpeper, died Wednesday, March 14, 2001, at Culpeper Baptist Retirement Community. He was born Oct. 29, 1912, in Richmond to the late William Franklin Cale, Sr. and Mary Virginia Harrell Cale.

      Dr. Cale attended Campbell University, University of Richmond and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky. He ministered for 11 years at Warwick Swamp Baptist Church, Center Hill Baptist Church and Rocky Hock BaptistChurch, all in Eastern North Carolina. Dr. Cale was minister of Culpeper Baptist Church from 1947 to 1957. He served as pastor of First Baptist Church in South Boston from 1957-1975.

      Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Dorothy Bragg Cale of Culpeper; his son, William F. Cale, M.D. and his wife, Susan, both of Harrisonburg; and two grandchildren, John Franklin Cale and Mary Virginia Cale.

      Additional survivors include a sister, Mary Virginia Harrell of Portsmouth, Va.; a brother, Montgomery G. Cale of Spring Hill, Fla.; and a number of nieces and nephews.

      The family will receive friends Friday, March 16, 2001, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Found and Sons Funeral Chapel, 850 Sperryville Pike, Culpeper.

      A funeral service will be held Saturday, March 17, 2001, at 11 a.m. at Culpeper Baptist Church with Dr. Ted W. Fuson officiating.

      Interment will follow in Fairview Cemetery.

      Memorial donations may be made in his name to the Culpepr Baptist Retirement Community, P.O. Box 191, Culpeper, Va. 22701 and/or Culpeper Baptist Church, 318 S. West St., Culpeper, Va. 22701.

      Found and Sons Funeral Chapel of Culpeper is in charge of the arrangements.
    Obituary 15 Mar 2001  The Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond, none (independent city), Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Obituary 16 Mar 2001  The Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond, none (independent city), Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Reference Number 171545 
    Buried 17 Mar 2001  Fairview Cemetery, 822 Sperryville Pike, Culpeper, Culpeper County, Virginia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I171545  Goodwin
    Last Modified 27 Nov 2010 

    Mother Harrell, Mary Virginia,   b. 21 Dec 1882, Bertie County, North Carolina, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 May 1923, Chowan County, North Carolina, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 40 years) 
    Family ID F65407  Group Sheet

    Children 
     1. Living
    Family ID F65405  Group Sheet

  • Sources 
    1. [S2888] Richmond Times-Dispatch (VA) - March 15, 2001
      Deceased Name: CALE: W. Franklin Cale
      W. Franklin Cale, D.D., 88, of Culpeper, died Wednesday, March 14, 2001 at Culpeper Baptist Retirement Community. He was born October 29, 1912 in Richmond to the late William Franklin Cale Sr. and Mary Virginia Harrell Cale. Dr. Caleattended Campbell University, University of Richmond and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky. He ministered for 11 years at Warwick Swamp Baptist Church, Center Hill Baptist Church and Rocky Hock Baptist Church, all inEastern North Carolina. Dr. Cale was minister of Culpeper Baptist Church from 1947 to 1957. After which, he served as pastor of First Baptist Church in South Boston from 1957 to 1975. Survivors include his wife of sixty years, DorothyBragg Cale of Culpeper; his son, William F. Cale, M.D. and his wife, Susan, both of Harrisonburg; and two grandchildren, John Franklin Cale and Mary Virginia Cale. Additional survivors include a sister, Mary Virginia Harrell ofPortsmouth, Va.; a brother, Montgomery G. Cale of Spring Hill, Fla.; and a number of nieces and nephews. The family will receive friends Friday, March 16, 2001 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Found and Sons Funeral Chapel, 850 Sperryville Pike,Culpeper. A funeral service will be held Saturday, March 17, 2001 at 11 a.m. at Culpeper Baptist Church with Dr. Ted W. Fuson officiating. Interment will follow in Fairview Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made in his name to theCulpeper Baptist Retirement Community, P.O. Box 191, Culpeper, Va. 22701 and/or Culpeper Baptist Church, 318 S. West St., Culpeper, Va. 22701. Found and Sons Funeral Chapel of Culpeper is in charge of the arrangements.

      Richmond Times-Dispatch (VA)
      Date: March 15, 2001
      Edition: City
      Page: B-6.

    2. [S2888] Richmond Times-Dispatch (VA)
      Date: March 16, 2001
      Edition: City
      Page: B-7


      Culpeper - Cale, the Rev. W. Franklin, 88, a retired Baptist minister, husband of Dorothy Bragg Cale.